10 Things to Know About Porcelain Veneers
What you should know before choosing porcelain veneers
Are you a good candidate for porcelain veneers? If so, what should you know before taking the plunge? East Area Dental explains the top ten things to know about veneers.
Porcelain veneers are an excellent way to reinvigorate your smile. They can cover up imperfections, such as discoloration, and help you greet the world more confidently. But, what should you know before you opt for veneers? East Area Dental explains the top 10 things to understand before choosing veneers.
- Veneers are not removable. In order to place veneers on your teeth and make them look as natural as possible we have to shave down the surface of your teeth. This allows the veneer to fit properly against your teeth. But because of this, you won’t be able to simply remove them without serious consideration.
- Choosing the right color is important. We all want a gleaming white smile, but it is possible to choose a color that is too white. Choose a color that still looks natural.
- Veneers are not adverse to damage. Consider your veneers to be similar to your natural teeth – they can chip or crack. They can undergo normal wear and tear like your natural teeth, but you’ll still want to take some things into consideration. For instance, if you are a tooth grinder, this can lead to cracking. You’ll also want to avoid using your teeth as tools to open things, as this can also damage the veneers.
- You don’t need a mouthful of veneers. Some people get veneers on the whole mouth, but this isn’t necessary. Some people may only need them on a couple of teeth. Your dental professional will help you determine what will be best for your smile.
- Veneers are a great option to correct a host of problems. Veneers can correct discoloration, chips, and worn-down teeth. But they can also be an option for patients who want to close gaps or correct minor misalignments in their teeth.
- Choose the right material to prevent staining. Porcelain veneers are slightly more expensive than resin veneers, but they are more resistant to staining. When paired with a proper oral care routine, porcelain veneers are less likely to become discolored.
- Veneers may not be for everyone. If you suffer from oral infections or serious decay, you may not be an ideal candidate for veneers. The dental experts at East Area Dental can help you find the cosmetic solution that is right for you.
- Veneers are a cosmetic procedure. Because of the cosmetic nature of veneers, many insurance plans may not cover the cost. Our financial team will help you determine what benefits you may be due, however.
- Don’t forget to let your mouth heal. Your gums may be sensitive immediately after getting your veneers. Make sure you are gentle with your teeth in the first few days after having veneers placed. Watch what you eat and brush and floss gently.
- Veneers don’t last forever. With proper care, your veneers can last many years, sometimes as many as 15. But they will wear down over time so it is important to see your dentist for regular check-ups.
Porcelain veneers are a great cosmetic option for many patients. They can restore a smile to health a beauty, without being too invasive. If you are interested in learning more about how veneers can transform your smile call East Area Dental today.